2.08.2012

Protein Packed Crustless Spinach & Mushroom Quiche

Pin It Quiche.  A perfect meal for any time of the day.  Breakfast quiche. Lunch quiche. Dinner quiche.  Hot or Cold.  And the combinations are endless.  Ham, Spinach, Mushrooms, Red Pepper, Zucchini, ANY kind of cheese.  I could go on.  I really don't think you can go wrong when it comes to quiche.  I think I had my first quiche in Paris.  Quiche Lorraine and it was good.  It tasted so good, it inspired me to make a healthier version at home (I don't even want to know what is in a restaurant/patisserie quiche recipe).  I found this Crustless Spinach Cheese Quiche recipe on foodnetwork.com, from no other but Paula Deen.   I have made a few modifications, and this meatless crustless quiche really packs a protein punch (perfect post-workout meal).  I like to make the recipe large enough to have leftovers for lunch the next day.  If you have leftovers beyond that, you can always freeze it in serving size portions (although it never lasts that long in our house).  Anyway, onto the recipe.

The main players are:
Organic eggs (7), a cup and a half of spinach, a cup and a half of mushrooms, a cup of Gouda/cheddar mix, a cup of cottage cheese, a container of Greek-yo, some Parm, and a little pep

Start by mixing the eggs, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, Parmesan and some fresh cracked pepper.

Next add the mushrooms, spinach and cheese
Mix all together, and pour into a greased baking dish.  Try to get the spinach under the filling as much as possible or it will get crispy and burnt on the top.  Put in preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes (or until it is puffy and a tooth pick comes out clean).
After about 10 minutes, the quiche will start to fill your house with a wonderful aroma.  Final product will look something like this: 


ingredients:
7 organic eggs
1 cup & 1/2 spinach
1 cup & 1/2 sliced mushrooms
1 cup cottage cheese
1 regular container Greek - yo (preferably low fat)
two tablespoons parm cheese
1 cup cheddar/gouda mix (or cheese of your choice)
cracker pepper

garnish:
with tabasco

Start by greasing a baking dish and preheating the oven to 325 degrees.  Combine eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, parmesan & cracked pepper in a medium mixing bowl.  Once mixed, add mushrooms, spinach and cheese.  Pour into the greased baking dish and put into oven.  bake quiche for 30-40 minutes.  quiche will get puffy and start to get golden colored.  Once fully baked, remove from oven.  Serve hot or cold any time of day. 

So good you don't even miss the crust..... well, maybe a tiny bit?  Bon appetit!

need to work on the final presentation photos....

Pin It

4 comments:

jLynn said...

I made the quiche for dinner tonight and it was delicious!! I opted for strawberries, some sliced avacado and fresh squeezed OJ for my sides :)

aglobetrottersfare said...

YAY! You are officially the first person to try a recipe! Therefore you win A FREE STAY IN BELGIUM!!!!!!! You lucky girl! It's good, right? and so easy!

Anonymous said...

I am obsessed with quiche. I intend to try this recipe, but can I also ask which ingredients are necessary to make quiche and which can be substituted? Just the veggies, meat, and cheese?

aglobetrottersfare said...

Hi Anonymous! Thanks for reading! Of course you can swap out to have any veggies, cheese, meat you would like. As far as the filling goes, I have generally seen milk and eggs in recipes. However, I definitely recommend keeping the cottage cheese as it adds lots of cheesy flavor without the fat. Enjoy the quiche! :)