4.23.2012

Greek Style Quinoa Salad

Pin It As everyone else in the food blogosphere, I am officially obsessed with quinoa.  When did this all start, you ask?  (as if you really would ask that.)  I will tell you anyway.  I think it was when I made Cilantro Lime Quinoa Salad three times in one week and then two the next.  Seriously.  Lucky for me, quinoa is Über good for you... in such large doses however, I am not so sure.  Needless to say, it's time to venture out to other ways to prepare quinoa (and maybe max out at 1-2 times/week?).   Although, after trying this dish, limiting my usage will become more difficult, as it was excellent!

I have always wanted to prepare something Greek, anything Greek.  Hard to believe, I have never really made anything Greek before, so when I came across this Greek Style Quinoa Salad from Kalyn's Kitchen, I had to make it!  If you haven't been to Kalyn's Kitchen before, you should definitely check it out, she has some great recipes!

While you quinoa is cooking, chop everything: green pep, red pep, cucumber, grape tomato, olive, feta, and a little bit of fresh mint.  Make your vinaigrette, too.  Cool your quinoa.  I stuck mine in the freezer to speed up the process, as I was getting a little impatient and really hungry.

Layer all the veggies, olives, cheese & mint over the chilled quinoa.  Taste Tester gave me props on my presentation (that was a first!).
 Another nice color combo. 
Top with the vinaigrette and mix.  Let flavors settle for 20 minutes before serving (the longer you can wait the better.. this is hard, I know).  I had leftovers for lunch the next day and it was sooo much more flavorful.  Which leads me to my recommendation, make it a day in advance.

Greek Style Quinoa Salad
slightly adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen

Ingredients:
3/4 c quinoa (rinsed)
1 1/4 c water 
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 cucumber
1 c grape tomatoes
1/3 c kalmata olives
1/4 c crumbled feta cheese
1/4 c mint (I prefer a little less, depends how much you like mint)

vinaigrette:
1/3 c Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp cumin
dash of cinnamon
salt
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
Rinse quinoa 2-3 times.  Pour rinsed quinoa in a small sauce pan over medium heat for a few minutes, to toast the quinoa a bit.  Add water, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer.  Simmer with cover on for 10 minutes.  Do not remove cover but turn heat off.  Leave on burner covered for 10-15 minutes.   Remove cover.  Your quinoa should be nice and fluffy.  Chill.

Whisk together EVOO, lemon, cumin, cinnamon, and salt. Refrigerate until ready to use

Chop peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, feta and mint.  Once quinoa is cooled, mix veggies and olives with quinoa.  Add feta and mint.  Top with dressing and mix.  Salt and pepper to taste. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Voila.  Another tasty way to prepare quinoa and perfect bring to work leftovers.  Bon Appetit!!

Pin It

No comments: