4.25.2013

Life's Better at the Yurt - Glamping in the Algarve

Pin It I was never much of a camper.  Sure, I went camping once a year as a kid with my grandparents (and always had a blast), but after that I did my best to avoid it.  I am not sure why.  Maybe it's the fact that I hate waking up in a hot and sticky tent or sleeping on the hard cold ground.  Or maybe it's just that I am a true cottage girl.  A cozy bed, a beautiful lake, lounging in the hammock.  That, to me, is relaxation.  Well, I have to say my eyes have been opened to a new form of camping, Glamping.  Paul and I went glamping in the Algarve for our "baby moon" and let's just say we were two three happy glampers.

We have been doing our best to be more kind to Mother Nature, but one of our big downfalls is the amount of travelling we do.  Thankfully there are places like the Eco-Lodge Brejeira in Southern Portugal, where you can have a relaxing and eco-friendly holiday.  It's like having my cake and eating it, too (and lately I have been a big fan of cake).
How about waking up to this view right outside your yurt door?  Not another soul in sight.  Just you, your book, your coffee and the sunny blue skies of the Algarve.  Yes, it's that simple.  Life was better at the yurt.  And I am having trouble adjusting to reality.
This was our home for the three nights we spent in the Algarve.  The authentically decorated yurt (with a comfy bed!), an outdoor mini kitchen perfect for al fresco dining, a deck with a spectacular view of the hills and valleys, and an outdoor shower (also with a view) just for us.
Every morning our friendly hosts, Claire and Sander (who live in a yurt on the property), brought breakfast to our yurt. Breakfast consisted of fresh breads, homemade fig jam, honey from the region, yogurt, muesli, fresh fruit, special cheeses and ham, fresh squeezed OJ (which may have been the best I ever had) and fresh coffee.  You see why adjusting to reality is hard after a few nights at the Eco-Lodge?!  Not to mention the view we were dining with.  Please forgive me in advance if I mention the view one more time.
When we weren't hanging at the yurt, we were out exploring the rugged beaches of the Southwestern coast of Portugal. It was beach weather everyday. In. Love. With. Portugal. <3  (and the views!)
Paul took a surfing lesson.  Check out that mean up dog.  Yowza!   Who knew?!  I spent some time reading and walking on the beach.  Unfortunately, no surfing (or attempting to surf) for me and Charlie.

I am seriously considering living in a yurt, just not sure I can handle it in Wisconsin?  In the mean time, I will look for more yurts to stay in and glamp.  The Eco-Lodge Brejeira was truly glamping at it's finest.  A big thanks to our hosts, Claire and Sander!  We'll be back! Pin It

1 comment:

RH said...

Ricky Hanson says, Algarve is so beautiful. What a great place to visit. Thanks for showing us your photos.